Friday, November 26, 2010

More like the Crappy Diaries


This is the story of Carrie Bradshaw at high school before she makes it to New York City.I have no idea why I even bothered to open this book. I actually never liked Candace Bushnell's books I've read - Sex and The City and Lipstick Jungle. I am quite sure my enjoyment of the shiny things on the TV show affected my judgement when I reached for the book on the shelf.

This novel was terrible and it took me all my strength to finish it. Boring, superficial, directionless high school melodrama galore with personality-less characters and no sense of time or place. I don't think even the fans of the show will enjoy the novel because Carrie of The Carrie Diaries had nothing to do with neurotic, intelligent, layered character Carrie of the show. Kudos to Bushnell for being smart enough to see that she, like everybody else, could cash in on exploiting the teen fiction boom. Too bad she chose to produce this.

1 comment:

  1. Agree! Read the Lipstick Jungle and while on holiday and it made me angrier the more I read. I hated all the characters and they were so superficial and boring.
    I think Candice Bushnell should be thankful that the TV show cave her more credit that she deserves.

    ReplyDelete