Friday, November 26, 2010

Horny Historical Romance – it should be a Booker Prize genre


“He gave his heart to no woman….until he met her”


HA!

Well...this is really hard for me to talk about. Really hard. And that sentence is not a double entendre. But it would be in the books I am about to confess to reading.
I have a bad addiction. It creeps up on me when I am between novels or had a really busy week and I don’t want to have to think too much. I was not expecting to love this so much. But I do. And I cant help it.


I, the Reader, am addicted to horny historical romance novels. I can’t stop. It’s a problem. All those protagonists - dashing, obscenely rich, emotionally retarded men in tights. Those heroines, all bound up, stunning, aristocratic with genius level intelligence and large hats. It is formulaic, predicatable and no brainer entertainment.


Here is the run down so you know what to expect. Boy is highly successful, good looking, rich and a womanizer. He “never wants to get married”. Enter girl. They hate each other. Then their hate turns in to love. Then they have earth shattering, bone crunching special cuddles. Numerous times. Then they fight. Then he realises all life was meaningless before her and he is a horrible human being. Then he resues her from something. Then they reunite. And are deliriously happy. Then more special cuddles. The End.


Stephanie Laurens and Julia Quinn are the authors of the moment for this kind of writing. And I am sure I am not the only one – Stephanie Laurens has written 24 novels all with the same formula- and every single one has made it on to the New York Times best seller list. Every. Single. One. That is a lot of gold coins stashed in velvet bags.


Go on, try one. I won't judge you.

No comments:

Post a Comment